Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Snow day in Austin

Yesterday (02/24) Austin had a rare day of snow. I don't have class Tuesdays and Thursdays but I got wake-up calls from Julia and Naishadh about the snowfall. Heading to campus on the West Campus bus, I saw gaggles of students marveling at the snowflakes and having snowball fights. My d40 did its job for the better part of the day until moisture leaked into the directional pad, which caused it to go haywire- not letting me scroll through pictures or change the autofocus point in my viewfinder. Everything dried up just fine when I got home, though, so there's no permanent damage.

This was my first photo outing in a while and I am definitely rusty. It took me about half an hour to get my butt in gear. I was slow to track movement, being sluggish at making the necessary reactive adjustments to autofocus and metering. Composing felt forced and a little awkward. Also, my intuition about exposure was off and looking at my shots later, I found many of the under exposed.

Nevertheless, I had a blast, so I'll take this opportunity to regain my stride. Take a look at some of my favorites from yesterday.

Snow on Roofs

Slipped

Snowman

West Campus Bus

Guadalupe and Snow

No comments: